A few days ago I was visiting Don Lee's garage to see his classic AC Cobra 289 . He opened his garage door and there was this beautiful blue Camaro Trans Am race car that looked familiar. It turns out that I had taken pictures of this car a few years earlier in the paddock at the Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca and had posted these pictures on My Car Quest the very day that I was visiting Don, so imagine how surprised I was to learn that he owns this piece of racing history. I could not resist taking more pictures.
Don Lee, below, races this car in historic races.
Here are some of the highlights for this successful race car:
* First car built for the 1968 Penske team, Ron Fournire, fabricator
* 2nd place at the 24 Hours of Daytona driven by Mark Donohue, Craig Fischer and Bob Johnson
* 2nd place (4th overall) at the 12 Hours of Sebring driven by Joe Welch, Bob Johnson and Craig Fischer
* Podium finishes by Sam Posey for the rest of the season
* Sucessful race history in Europe, 1969-1971
*Began vintage racing in 1999
The AC Cobra 289 story is here and the Monterey Historic Races story is here.
Click on the images for a larger view.